The Soup ii (cont..)






CUT TO: 

11 INT.  AMARA’S OFFICE – DAY
AMARA is dressed rather too extravagant for the scene due to her date later that day. She stands by a dash board trying to arrange a sequence of events for a project she was working on. Two casually dressed ladies are sitting on the couch watching her arrange the cards on the board. And then there’s a knock on the door and its BUDAA with his hands behind his back. Immediately uneasy by his presence AMARA continues to address the two ladies ignoring BUDAA. He invites himself in regardless and interrupts the session.

BUDAA
(smiles)
Good morning ladies
How are you doing?

-the ladies respond but AMARA remains uninterested. BUDAA walks up to her and hands out a bouquet of red roses.

AMARA
(irritated yet astonished)
What’s this?

BUDAA
(smiling)
Flowers.

AMARA
(still irritated)
And who is this supposed
to be for?

BUDAA
Let’s just say a little something
to say am sorry and can we move
forward happily.

AMARA
(suspicious)
Huh! I guess so.

BUDAA
So, you forgive me?

AMARA
Sure, I wasn’t really upset
I know what I signed up for.

BUDAA
(smiles mischievously)
Good girl!

-He turns to leave but then turns back again.

BUDAA
Uhmmm! One more thing, you might 
not want to throw the tag away just yet. 
Just so you see the little note I wrote.

AMARA
(reluctant)
Really!

BUDAA
Oh yeah! It’s just
a simple something to
tickle your fancy.

-AMARA looks down to read the note with BUDAA looking over her hands, and as she reads through she falls sick to her stomach. It wrote; 

Dear AMA, this is just a simple
note to remind you how special you are 
to me and more so unforgettable. 
Love, 
DUKE.

-BUDAA immediately bursts into loud laughter.

AMARA
(angry)
Unbelievable! Get out!

BUDAA
(quietly laughing)
Now, why would I want to give
you flowers AMA?
Take a second to think about that. 
This is the very reason I say
you’re too sensitive.

AMARA
(infuriated)
Just get out and leave me 
the hell alone.
(pauses)
And you know what, I think
this is getting way out of
hand, and if you don’t quite
I am going to have a conversation
with the board on how long I 
might be staying here.

BUDAA
(smirks)
Oh wow! Say no more.
Why don’t I arrange that 
specially for you. I mean it’s not
like the recession could really
affect a onetime practicing talent manager
like yourself. Plus this could build up a
really great resume for your next application. 
Where would that be though, Togo?

AMARA
(frustrated)
Just leave, please!

BUDAA
(turns to leave)
Good bye ladies.


CUT TO: 

12 INT.RECEPTION – DAY

DUKE comes by later that day to pick up AMARA. He meets BUDAA at the reception as he’s trying to talk to the receptionist. BUDAA engages in a little chat with him when he finds out he’s here for AMARA.

BUDAA
Sup Mehn!

DUKE
Am good! Thank you.

BUDAA
You must be the DUSK guy right?

DUKE
Nah, its DUKE.

BUDAA
(sneers)
What did I say?

-Just then AMARA comes out of the elevator, looking suspiciously at BUDAA, she races to give DUKE a hug and then pulls his left arm as they leave.



CUT TO:

13 INT.RESUARANT – DAY
AMARA and DUKE arrive at a restaurant sitting at an ordered table close to a view of the city.

DUKE
(slightly holding her hand)
So how was your day?

AMARA
(inhales and exhales)
I hate my job!

DUKE
(surprised)
What! What do you mean?
You told me how much you
loved music and how you
wanted to always be around
it, no matter what you had
to be doing.

AMARA
Okay! Maybe not necessarily my job.
Maybe it’s who I have to do it with.

DUKE
Who’s that?

AMARA
My artist.

DUKE
Oh yeah! You know I’ve never 
still seen one photo of him
not even a music video.

AMARA
But you already did meet him.

DUKE
(surprised)
I did?

AMARA
Yes, the guy at the reception.

DUKE
(shocked)
The full beard, dreadlock guy?

AMARA
(rolls her eyes)
Yes!

DUKE
For real! No way, he seemed pretty cool
to me. I mean he looked good too,
nothing like a rascal.

AMARA
(bluffs)
Hmmm! don’t be fooled by those charms.
He’s as deadly as a parasite
a devil’s incarnate, if possible.

-Meanwhile the waitress wheels the food over and sets it on their table. 

DUKE
Thank you.
(taking a bite)
So why don’t you just
switch clients or something.
I mean your agency should be
able to work that out for you.

AMARA
It’s not that simple DUKE.
Especially for me since this
would be my very first major job
to prove I could actually do this.
Also for future referrals and all
(starts eating).

DUKE
Well, can’t you make up a story?
Like he tried to assault you 
or something. I mean stuffs like 
that would get quick attention,
straight up.

AMARA
(shakes her head)
And then what! I become
the manager who almost got raped by her
own client whom she’s supposed to cater for.
(speaking in third person)
So you all better be careful how you
relate to her cause she’s very fragile at
this point.
No! I don’t need such 
stigma and plus that’s not even my thing.

DUKE
(slides to his chair)
Look babe, I don’t know what 
to tell you, I mean I agree
that idea was too extravagant.
But I do want you to be happy and 
not stressed out cause of some job.

AMARA
I know, don’t worry.
I’ll think of something later.
But for now I just have to
keep my head above water.
Come on, let’s eat.

DUKE
(sits up)
Okay! That makes me feel
much better.

-Few minutes after their meal, the waitress comes to clear the table and then DUKE orders for a wine as the pair continue their date.

DUKE
So, how’s crazy CANDY?

AMARA
(laughs)
Don’t call my friend crazy.
She’s not crazy, she’s just a
little psycho, that’s all.

-both laugh
DUKE
So are you guys settled now?
You both got me scared the 
last time, I mean that was 
hilarious.

AMARA
(chuckles)
Don’t mind us.
We could get like that sometimes.
That’s how we blow off some 
steam from time to time.

DUKE
Indeed! 

AMARA
It’s a girl thing.
(laughs)

DUKE
I have something for you
(reaches for his pocket)

AMARA
(elated)
Oh my God!

DUKE
(looks surprised)
Dude! You know it’s not
a ring right?

AMARA
(smiles)
Oh come on! How?
But it’s not like I wouldn’t
take it if it was.

-DUKE opens a square shaped red case and brings out a gold bracelet as he wears it on her right hand. 

AMARA
(excited)
Wow! This is so beautiful.
You’re the best, wait till
I show CANDY.

DUKE
You’re sure it’s your taste?
Cause I know you could be very
picky about your stuff.

AMARA
(smiling and glaring at the bracelet)
It’s perfect! Just like you
Just like this lovely place we are,
and it’s about to get even more
perfected when we go back to your place.
(strokes his jaws).

DUKE
(looks uncertain)
Yeah! About the spending the
night thing, I don’t think we could.

AMARA
(pulls away from him)
Wait! Again?
Doesn’t it seem absurd to you 
that your girl friend(air quotes) has never
been to your home before,
I mean that’s some really shady stuff.

DUKE
(bending over to be closer to her)
I know AMA, but it’s really
not an intentional bypass
It’s complicated.

AMARA
(moves closer to his face)
Are you married?

DUKE
(chuckles)
What! Oh come on that’s preposterous.
It really hasn’t gotten to that.
And besides if I were married
I’d be at a kid’s park waiting to
pick up a seven year old and not 
here with you, having lunch.

-AMARA falls into her hands, upset. DUKE tries to raise her head up but she pushes him away.


DUKE
AMARA, please don’t be like this,
I promise everything would fall 
in place eventually, you’ll see.

AMARA
(upset)
And when would eventually be?
Huh! Is there a date or time frame
attached to it.
What have you got to hide?
Why aren’t you fully open to me?

DUKE
You’re over thinking this.
It’s not even that big of a
deal. Who says I have to
show how committed I am to 
you by taking you to my house.

-AMARA having a look of disbelief he made such response.

DUKE
Okay, think about it, you did
meet my mother last summer
didn’t you?
So what else could beat that?

AMARA
(suddenly jolts up)
You know what! Go beat yourself up
on how much of a pathetic liar 
and manipulative asshole you are.

-DUKE follows her up and grabs her trying to keep her from leaving. He sets her in a pose for a tango and even forces her into dancing.

DUKE
(smiling chivalrously)
Dance with me.
Remember how we used to do
this every time, when we first met.

AMARA
(submitted)
Its official, 
I’m in love with 
a con artist.

DUKE
(laughs)
Not quite, but I’ll take it.
Long as I get to con this 
gorgeous damsel into letting her 
guard down a bit more so we
could have each other for as
long as we both live.

-She’s depressed but still lays her head on his chest as they dance through the silence.

 
CUT TO:

14 EXT. ROAD – DAY
AMARA and CANDY are taking a jog down the street when she gets a call from her mother, MAMA JU. She’s reluctant to take the call as she’s reminded of their engagement that day Friday.

-The two ladies take a stop.

CANDY
(exhausted)
Who’s that?

AMARA
It’s MAMA JU.

CANDY
Ok, so go ahead
Why are you stalling?

AMARA
It’s because I don’t know
what excuse giving her.
I was supposed to go over the
house today.

CANDY
So, what changed?

AMARA
(squints)
I kind of made arrangements 
to go to PEACE’ house party.

CANDY
Oh right! The same party you
didn’t tell me about also.

AMARA
Oh take a chill pill.
It’s not like I was
going to go there by myself.
And also remember you had
your teeth all up in my
skin a while ago.
(pauses)
Plus I made reservations for 
the salon later today.

CANDY
So what are you going 
to tell her?

-Takes a second to look at the phone and then turns it off, silent mode.

AMARA
Its fine, I’ll just call
her some other time.

CANDY
(taking to her heels)
Slut!

AMARA
(laughs)
Oh shut up!

-The two ladies race themselves down the road.


CUT TO:

15 INT. SALON – EVENING

AMARA is having her hair done by the hair stylist while CANDY with pins and rolls in her hair, was by the manicurist. The ambiance was bumbling being Friday, with ladies up and down the hall. Conversations kept spurring in as the ladies kept both their hands and mouths busy. Just then a tall, slender lady walks in; one might have taken her for a black ‘Victoria Beckham’, sophisticated and salty looking. It was no doubt all the ladies would leave their activities to stop and stare as her six inch heels came resounding through every step she took. Majestically walking up to her stylist she had the most jaw drooping reaction ever for vocal utterance. A mixture of street and rash ascent.   

ABBY
(rushing in to give her stylist a big five)
How you dey my babe?

STYLIST
Ah! ABBYLICIOUS ABBY, I dey jare
E don tay since we see you for here o.

-both speaking in Pidgin English

ABBY
(sighs)
Babe na so I see am o
Na my guy just dey do me
strong tin, he no gree pay
him dues.

STYLIST
(gives a distressed look)
Ehenn! But hope say he don 
pay, because I no go fit 
run the same package we dey run before
you know say my Madame don come 
back from Yankee.

ABBY
(sneers)
Shuu! Which kin statement be that?
You no see as people plenty for here,
no come dey embarrass me na.

STYLIST
No vex! I just dey ask
May e no be later we come dey talk stories
wey go touch the heart
cause as e be Lagos no dey smile.

ABBY
Whateva! For your information
I no even come do anything for here today
As you see say me sef I don package.
Na just show off I come do.
And mind you I go pay for the hair
of every girl wey dey here.

STYLIST
Ah ah! You mean am
This one na major due payment o
No be small thing.

-The other ladies begin leaning into the conversation after the slight drop of ‘payment for every girl in the room’, including AMARA and CANDY. And later there’s a loud burst of laughter amidst loud chattering when the STYLIST officially breaks the news.

STYLIST
(yelling)
Ladies! Attention, At ease, 
you know what all join.
My babe here, as a top babe wey she be..

-ABBY in the height of her clouds. 

Don decide say she go pay the bill 
of every human being wey dey here
(pauses)
excluding that woman, Madame na now
you enter.
(laughing hysterically)
So may una no worry
Your father Christmas don
come early this year
just do as you like.

-there’s a barbaric response of ‘AUNTY THANK YOU OO’, as well as ‘GOD BLESS OUR OGA OO’ among the overly elated ladies. Meanwhile AMARA and CANDY making eye contact laugh and wonder what to make of it. CANDY signals that they play along while making a hand gesture that she was going to walk up to ABBY. AMARA objects with the same.

ABBY of course by default makes it well known that her charitable gesture was an every Sunday galore and it took no hair off her weave wearing skull. She makes her way to the most obvious seat in the hall with her legs crossed and nose up in the air. Some of the ladies found it necessary walking up to her to pay their respects while the others mocked from a far distance seeing ABBY as one simply seeking attention.

Very shortly after, the television switches to a show  displaying a couple of men in discussion, seemed to be a Men’s show and just as one of the hair stylist is about to switch to a different channel, ABBY smuttily objects saying her man was a part of the show. 

ABBY
No! Stop it, leave it there.
My oga dey there na.
You no fit even ask customer first.

-the STYLIST comes rushing towards the television excited to know her friend’s man was on television, shockingly the other ladies where interested too, most were in disbelief.
CANDY being of the same feather as the ladies joined in as well, a crowd of ladies flood the area of the television set. Just then the STYLIST asks to know which one, and the name DUKE OSAO comes ringing in. CANDY immediately falls into panic attack. She moves closer to ABBY wanting to be sure she had misheard her.

CANDY
Sister, sorry o which did 
you say was yours?

ABBY
(sneers)
Aunty! Wetin be my own with you
Abi you know my DUKE?

CANDY
(shocked)
Say what!

-ABBY sighs, ignoring CANDY, whose jaws could almost fill three rolls of sausage. 

Meanwhile AMARA remains unbothered still on her chair waiting for her stylist who had left her to join the scene. And besides the crowd of ladies gathered around the television was all she could see through the mirror. 

A minute is passed now and her stylist was nowhere to be found. AMARA jolts up angrily heading for the crowd of women. Just then she’s met by CANDY who withholds her, saying they ought to leave. AMARA is perplexed wondering what absurd suggestion CANDY was making, with her hair half done and CANDY’S nails also partially fixed.

AMARA
(upset)
What do you mean! Stop holding
me, how do you expect me to go
to a party with a hair half done?

CANDY
(pulling her arm)
Trust me, let’s just leave now.

AMARA
(now frustrated)
You are crazy if you think
am going to leave like that.

-AMARA jerks her hand away from CANDY and races to the middle of the crowd. Reluctantly taking a stare at what the ladies had abandoned their activities for, she is instantly glued on the clear sight of DUKE. Just then ABBY blurts out saying…

ABBY
That’s my DUKEY!

AMARA
(frantically turns to her)
What did you just say?

CANDY
(worried)
Come on AMA! Please lets 
just go.

AMARA
(furious)
No! This street brat
is about to tell me 
she didn’t just call
My DUKE, her DUKE!

ABBY
(storms up)
Eeh! What did I just 
hear you say now
My DUKE!
(lands a huge slap on AMARA’S face)

 
-The rest of the scene was nothing less than a savage splendor. With AMARA and ABBY rolling through the floor like two village warriors in combat, the spectators of course were the hair stylists and random women hailing the two as they watched the fight, some even thought to bet last minute. CANDY was helpless, as the ladies wouldn’t let her into the battle ground.


CUT TO:

16 INT. AMARA’S AND CANDY’S HOUSE – NIGHT

AMARA AND CANDY are at the house now. AMARA sits on the floor with her back rested on the couch as CANDY cares for her wounds. Amidst tears and groaning AMARA lashes at CANDY for not having her back.

AMARA
(upset)
I know you want to say it,
So just go ahead.

CANDY
(agitated)
Say what? 
Please just let me do what 
I have to do and don’t transfer
your aggression on me.
After all I did tell you 
that we should leave.
Twice!

-AMARA pushes off her hand but CANDY continues regardless.

AMARA
(sobbing)
I know you want to say
that am a fool and that
you told me so.

-then a knock on the door interrupts their conversation. CANDY stands to answer the door, but AMARA objects saying it might be DUKE but CANDY insists it was impossible and even if it were, he was definitely going home with a broken nose. She looks through the peephole and finds its PEACE. AMARA is distraught saying she didn’t want him to see her like that. CANDY puts her fears to rest saying she was going to make him leave.

CUT TO:

EXT. AMARA’S AND CANDY’S HOUSE

CANDY
Hi! PEACE

PEACE
Hi! How’re you doing?

CANDY
(leaning against the door)
Am loyal, and you?

PEACE
Well, I was hoping you
guys would make it to the
party but then you both didn’t 
show, so I thought I bring 
this leftover bottle of wine.

CANDY
(reaching for the bottle)
Oh, that’s so gentlemanly
Thank you.

PEACE
(looking through the door)
Where’s AMA?

CANDY
(closes the door behind her)
Uhmmm! She’s a bit down,
actually we both are.
That’s why we were a no show
at your party.

PEACE
(worried)
Really, what’s that
Is it a fever? 

CANDY
(shakes her head)
Not really, more like
the female monthly stuff.

PEACE
(embarrassed)
Oh!

CANDY
Yeah! The cramps.

PEACE
You both, at the same time? 

CANDY
(chuckles)
I mean these things
just sneak up on you at the
the slightest times
(rubbing her stomach).

PEACE
Well I guess I should leave
You both to take some rest
and I’ll come by tomorrow 
to check on you.

CANDY
(dramatic)
Oh no! It’s going to take more
than just an overnight rest
I don’t know if you’ve heard 
something like this before
but ours could get pretty intense.
(now bending)

PEACE
Ok! Ok its fine. You
just let me know when it’s okay
to come by and say hello.

CANDY
(still bending)
Ok that’s better.

PEACE
Alright, goodnight.
And say goodnight to AMA 
for me, will you?

CANDY
Sure! 
Goodnight.

-CANDY comes into the house and finds AMARA already asleep on the floor. She takes a cloth to cover her and then heads up the stairs to her room.

-Then the camera dissolves into a number of scenes showing AMARA doing the same things in repeat. Sleeping, waking up, eating, working through her laptop and sitting at the backyard by the pool constantly starring at nothing exactly, only listening to ‘Paris by Dido’.   

 
CUT TO:

17 EXT. AMARA’S AND CANDY’S BACKYARD POOL – DAY

AMARA is sitting by the pool at the backyard, dressed in her white robe and sun shades and as usual starring at nothing in particular. Then she hears the whistling coming from the other building. Not willing to entertain anyone she sits still pretending to be drawn into the ear pods she had on. But still the whistling persists and so did she.
Then a few minutes went by and AMARA falls fast asleep. She only wakes up when she realizes the sun was suddenly out of sight. Or was it...

PEACE
Hi there!
(but it was only PEACE standing over her)

AMARA
(trying to put herself together)
Hey, how... (stutters)
How’ve you been?

PEACE
(chuckles)
This is the second
time you’re asking that.

-AMARA tries to force a smile.

PEACE
(playfully)
Well I was worried actually.
Asides the fact that
CASSIE came rushing up the stairs
telling me there was a dead lady
by the pool, I mean I had 
to be sure. But it seems
you’d be fine.

AMARA
(chuckles)
Thank you for seeing me.

PEACE
(taking a seat by her)
You’re welcome.
So what have you been up to?

AMARA
Not much, I’ve just been
trying to live through each day.

PEACE
(starring intently at her left eye)
What happened there?

AMARA
(embarrassed)
It’s nothing, just a little scratch.

PEACE
(slowly pull off her shades)
(pauses in shock)
AMARA, I want to believe
a woman like you could
never be a victim of 
domestic violence.

AMARA
(chuckles)
Won’t that have been golden?
Taking a blow from a man you
loved rather than from his 
side chic.

PEACE
(appalled)
Wow! What a fool.

AMARA
Look PEACE, am sorry for not
coming to your party.
Am sure you must have thought 
I bailed out on you again.

PEACE
Well, I won’t say I didn’t feel
bad at first, but when CANDY
told me about the little situation
you both had going on, I was relieved.

AMARA
(astonished)
You mean she told you about
the fight at the salon?

PEACE
(laughs)
No! But you just did that.

-both laugh

PEACE
(leaning in)
So, I suppose you have 
to make up for 
missing my party.

AMARA
(smiling)
I suppose I do.

-he gives her a kiss on the cheek and then stands to leave.

PEACE
I’ll come get you by 7:00.

AMARA
Okay.



CUT TO: 

17 INT. PEACE’ LIVING ROOM – NIGHT

PEACE comes by on time to get AMARA, and the two go over to his home.

AMARA
(smiling)
Oh wow! This place does
bring back memories.

PEACE
(surprised)
What memories?

AMARA
(embarrassed)
You know...
You and me.

PEACE
(chuckles)
Wow! You don’t really 
remember much when you’re
drunk, do you?
Well if you must know
nothing happened.

AMARA
(doubtful)
What! You liar.
I don’t know how long it took
but we did do something
I know that for sure.

PEACE
(laughs and draws closer to her, whispers)
Nothing happened!
Am going to get the wine.
(walks away)

AMARA
(talking to herself)
Oh AMA you’re done for.
You can’t even give an account
of what did or didn’t go
inside of you.
Just pathetic!

-PEACE soon arrives with the wine.

PEACE
I hope this suites you.
It’s kind of really old
so I guess it should be the best.

AMARA
(taking the glass)
I really don’t know much
about wine, so I don’t 
have any preferences.

PEACE
Good! We’ll stick to
my taste bud then.
(raises a toast)
To AMA, and her newly found
Prince charming.

AMARA
(smirks)
And who would that be,
if you don’t mind my asking.

PEACE
(chuckles)
Who else, Me!
I mean I did come just
in time to rescue you.

AMARA
Oh yeah! I am fine
I don’t need any rescuing.

PEACE
You sure about that?
(slowly leans over and gives her a kiss)

-the two share a kiss for a moment but then PEACE withdraws. AMARA wears a look of disapproval.

AMARA
What happened, why’d
you stop?
(slightly turning to smell her breath)

PEACE
Uhmm! I wanted to know
first of all where your
head was.

AMARA
(confused)
What do you mean?

PEACE
I mean, do you want to 
start something afresh with me
or you just might up and leave
any time soon.

AMARA
(exhales)
I don’t know PEACE.
I don’t want to think 
about the future just yet.
Just take me the way I am now.
Distressed and really in need 
of a prince charming.
(smiles)

-The pair embrace one another and make love through the night.

 
CUT TO: 

18 INT. AMARA’S HOUSE – DAY

AMARA comes sneaking into the house trying to keep CANDY from waking up, but she’s not surprised  when she finds her best friend coming out of the kitchen with a cup of coffee in her hand. AMARA is embarrassed but CANDY remains quiet and hands her the cup of coffee.

CANDY
(sarcastic)
Here, take this.
It should rejuvenate you.

AMARA
(embarrassed)
Thank you.

CANDY
You’re welcome.
(turns and walks up the stairs)

-just as she’s all the way up she turns and with a smudge on her face she blurts out...

CANDY
Slut!

-AMARA chuckles and shakes her head.


CUT TO: 

20 INT. BOARD ROOM – DAY

AMARA is sitting at the left arm of the board table, right beside the DIRECTOR, a lanky old man who’s at the head of the table. There were a total of twelve people both men and a few women also present. AMARA is having a little private discussion with the DIRECTOR when BUDAA walks in. Already an hour late to the meeting he finds his way to the other end of the table.

DIRECTOR
(sarcastic)
Well! Who do we have here?
The man of the hour, but 
never on the hour.
Glad you could join us sir
at the very end of the session.

BUDAA
I apologize sir 
I am still quite hangover
from last night’s show.

DIRECTOR
I see, well were all done
so I guess you could get a
briefing from your manager.
(standing to leave)

BUDAA
Not just yet sir!
Speaking of my manager
I think there’s something
she’ll like to bring to your
notice, something about a 
resignation.

-AMARA faces the ground completely dumbfounded by BUDAA’S allegation. 

DIRECTOR
(frantically turns to AMARA)
What! 
What is he talking about?

AMARA
(giving BUDAA a stern frown)
Uhmmm! Not really sir
He must have misunderstood me.

BUDAA
Really! You sure?

AMARA
What I meant was,
(pointing at BUDAA) 
If BUDAA would hear me
was that, as long as he would have
me, I was willing to find more 
better ways we could work together,
as a team.

-BUDAA laughs hysterically.

DIRECTOR
I see. For a moment there
I was really worried.
Mostly for you, cause you
know the situation we're in
right now.

AMARA
Yes sir, I completely understand
and I promise to do my best 
in light of your expectations.

DIRECTOR
Perfect! Just about the
right words.
Alright, see you soon.

-the DIRECTOR walks out of the room and BUDAA follows him. Hoping to have a conversation with BUDAA AMARA races after him.
AMARA
Hey! BUDAA, can I have 
a word with you.

-he ignores her at first, but later reluctantly turns as the DIECTOR leaves the two.
 
BUDAA
Look, if it’s about the
briefing don’t bother
You could just mail it to me.

-he immediately turn to leave but AMARA holds him back.

AMARA
No! It’s not that.
Actually it’s about you and me.

BUDAA
(sneers)
What about that?

AMARA
Look, I know you feel 
like I’m the least best
person to handle your
management. But I want you
to trust me when I say, I 
know your music, and I am so
committed to seeing you climb
your success ladder to no limit.

BUDAA
(chuckles)
So what’s all this sweet
talk for?

AMARA
It’s not just sweet talk
BUDAA, it’s the true fact.
(pauses)
I suppose what I’m driving at
is, I want you to give me the
opportunity to prove myself by
working together with me and
not be so against me all the time.

BUDAA
(smiles mischievously)
Good talk.

-he walks away as quickly as his last statement and AMARA is left agitated. 


CUT TO: 

20 INT. PEACE’ KITCHEN – DAY

AMARA is by the kitchen cabinet chopping up some green vegetables while PEACE was busy stuffing the chicken. He starts up a conversation about her work.

PEACE
So how’s the BUDAA situation?

AMARA
(sips her juice)
I don’t know what to say 
about it anymore. It’s clear
to see the guy loathes me.

PEACE
Wow! That’s a tough word
It’s that bad huh!

AMARA
(discouraged)
I mean I made an effort to have
a reasonable conversation with
the fellow a weeks ago but he just
bluffed me off, like I was a groupie
Or something.

PEACE
Thinking about it, the dude
might just be on crack you know.
And he’s probably acting out because
he’s constantly high all the time.
(laughs)

AMARA
(smiles)
Lol! This might be true though.
But if I’m being honest I don’t think 
I’ve ever smelt anything funny 
around him like that. He always 
seems so put together most 
of the time.

PEACE
(chuckles)
Oh honey, don’t be fooled.
There are ways to do it clean
and clear, I mean rich boy style.

AMARA
(gives him a suspicious stare)
Hmmm! I see.
So, are you’re telling me you might 
be one of those rich boys?

PEACE
(laughs)
No! Not for me. 
And honestly if I was, 
you’d never know.

AMARA
(moves beside him)
So, speaking about honesty
I’m glad we didn’t do anything
that night on New Year’s Eve.
Cause for a second there
I was starting to feel what 
 happened to me was karma, but it 
turns out’ my ex was just a flat 
out Casanova.

PEACE
Well, it’s not that we never
did anything per se...

-AMARA cuts in.
AMARA
(exclaims)
See! I knew there was something
you were not telling me.

PEACE
(faces the chicken)
Come on, let’s forget it.
It’s in the past now.

AMARA
(pokes him playful on his arm)
The hell I am!
It’s very important for me to
know what happened or 
what didn’t happened.

PEACE
(reluctantly)
Well, you did mostly everything.

AMARA
(confused)
What do you mean 
I did everything?

PEACE
(smiles  mischievously)
You know,
(looks below his shorts and then back at her)

AMARA
(takes a second to think and then exclaims)
No! oh my God! I didn’t, 
I wouldn’t. 
That’s disgusting!

PEACE
What can I say you were
overly excited.

AMARA
(embarrassed)  
I must have been totally stoned.

-just then CASSIE comes rushing in, as she goes on to embrace her father. He is surprised to see her knowing he was meant to pick her up for five at her mum’s office.

PEACE
(surprised)
Hey! Sweetie how are you?
(carries her)
How’d you get here this time?
I don’t get to see you till five.

CASSIE
So you’re saying I should go back
and wait till five before I could
see you?

PEACE
Not so sweetie, I just meant
who got you here?

CASSIE
My mum of course!

-she (CASSIE) point towards the kitchen entrance as a slender beautiful lady walks slowly in, she was AGNES, CASSIE’S mother and PEACE’ ex girlfriend. PEACE looks displeased while AMARA had an eye witness look on her face.

AGNES
Hey! PEAGEE.
Am so sorry, I know your time’s
for five but I have something
important to do.

PEACE
(angry)
And I don’t?
You should have called AGNES.

AGNES
(looks at AMARA and smiles)
Hi!
Am sorry I burst in on you guys
It’s really not a habit of mine.

PEACE
Just leave her out of it okay.
And stop that silly sentiment.
You can leave.

-she, (AGNES) gives her daughter a kiss and then waves at AMARA who in turn reluctantly waves back.

CASSIE
(sad)
Do I get to leave too, daddy?

PEACE
Of course not sweetie
You get to have lunch with
AMARA and I.

AMARA
(smiling)
Hi CASSIE.

CASSIE
Why does she get to eat
with us daddy?

PEACE
(puts her down)
Cause she’s our guest
and my new friend
(winks).

CASSIE
(sneers)
What do you mean?

PEACE
Ok enough of your interrogation.
Go help set the table, we’ll sit
and eat at the backyard.

-CASSIE walks up to AMARA as she ferociously takes the bowl of salad from her and goes out to the backyard.

AMARA
Thank you CASSIE.
(pauses)
That was interesting.

PEACE
(chuckles)
Am sorry, I had no idea.
If not I would have prepped
you up.

AMARA
(teasing)
It fine, PEAGEE.

-PEACE laughs, and takes a look at AMARA to see her expression.

PEACE
Hey! I hope you’re not 
taken by that.
That’s just AGNES’S way of
showing off to people like she
really knows me, even though we only
dated for two years before she brought
the whole pregnancy news.

AMARA
(smiles)
It’s okay I understand.
Every woman always wants
that sense of entitlement.

PEACE
(staring closely at her)
What about you, do you 
crave a sense of entitlement?

AMARA
(chuckles)
I don’t even know what I 
want right now, am just
somewhere in the middle
of nowhere trying to find 
a clue.

PEACE
Is there anything I could
do to bring you back home?
(sips his wine)

AMARA
(smiles)
Just keep on doing what
you’re doing.

PEACE
And what’s that?

AMARA
Rescuing me.

-the two are sharing a kiss and then CASSIE storms in...

CASSIE
(angrily)
Can we eat already?

Comments

Popular Posts